The Movie: Katama Rayudu
Caption: Just the name is enough
Savvy’s Rating: 3.25 / 5
Zephyr: An entertaining movie ; Director handled PK well.
- Shruti Hassan looked different and unrecognizable (compared to her previous movies) ; her costumes in all songs were disastrous
- Obvious glitches like 1) when the kid is missed at the temple, why can’t family call her and fretting bad whereas Katama calls her to play hide and seek ; 2) didn’t have proper closure of Radia and his son’s story
- Wonder why all brothers were asked to have beards and only Katama is clean shaven; this ended up other brothers looking stale and older in front of Katama
- Many fighting scenes and some are real barbaric
- Not a fan of showing JanaSena logo in the movie. Suggestion to PK: keep movies and politics separate. It gives clarity to YOU and People. Else there comes a day where people don’t vote if they are miffed up with your flop movie ; they boycott your movie, if they are unhappy with your political career. You will be in catch22 situation. Oh btw, you are creating this situation, dude! 😉
A movie must be embraced and loved by all, if it stands by its primary motive which is to provide entertainment. Katama fits the bill.
Story in a nutshell:
Remake of Tamil movie, Veeram, but customized to enhance political aspirations and enlarge commercial image of Pawan Kalyan. It’s a treat for fans and a good entertainer for rest of the audience.
Movie starts off with 5 aged brothers with no aspirations of marriage. Of which, elder brother is treated as God. As it revealed, 3 of his brothers are secretly in love. It reminds you of “Peddarikam” movie. Before one could jump into conclusions, things change as the story moves along. Katama is known for his ferocious handling of enemies and compassion for poor and the needy. There comes a love interest in his life by name Avantika, who’s is a fan of nonviolence. As the love tryst getting serious, Katama’s enemies list is growing.
Whether Katama leaves his violent behavior? Whether Avantika accepts Katama as he is or expects him to change for her? What happens to Katama’s enemies? Is there any story behind Katama’s life? Watch the move onScreen to get answers.
What worked well:
- I have immense respect for the Directors who handle big heroes, especially PK. Kishore Kumar Pardasani (aka Dolly) got most out of PK in a controlled manner. You would see PK’s performance to the point showing varied versions of Katama like mature version, silly version, and romantic version
- I loved watching PK in a love proposing scene. His eyes, more than his body language, were perfectly captured / set to express the love. My fav scene from the movie
- Supporting characters have given their genuine performance. Of all brothers, my vote goes to Ajay. He just outdid his character ; Rao Ramesh has done tremendous job but sadly his role was not fully justified and left unfulfilling
- Few songs are good. I liked “Emo Emo” written by Ananth Sriram
- Veeram was a super duper hit in Tamil. Betting on a remake, with PK as the Lead, is a safe bet. Can’t ask more. Producers and Distributors are happy. I have a feeling that this movie will continue to rake the profits. Let’s see if Bahubali 2 can stop Katama
Watch it with your friends and family.
– Entire cast and the crew