The Movie: Udta Punjab
Caption: Extended documentary on Drug Mafia
Savvy’s Rating: 3.5 / 5
Zephyr: Songs and main casting
1) Dialogues are – mostly – in Punjabi language
2) Offensive language all through; no filters
3) Unnecessary killing of Kareena’s character
4) Inconsistent performance from Shahid (like during climax he limps but bikes in the next second, bikes for 108 kms when unable to walk etc.)
5) Abrupt climax
If you are a fan of NCIS, CSI Miami, Crime Patrol and CID series then this is no less than that. The only difference is this movie has starry cast.
Drug mafia is one of the evils in the society with strong roots. This movie tries to shed some light on youth getting addicted to drugs, corrupt system, and how lives take ugly turn with “drugs”.
What I did not like is, all characters are “losers” in one way or the other in the movie. Also, looks like the Director missed showing a meaningful end to the movie. There’s a chance audience might get baffled on the intent of this movie while coming out of the theatre.
Story in a nutshell (spoiler alert):
Five characters: Tommy Singh (Shahid), Bihari girl / Mary Jane (Alia), Sartaj (Diljit), Dr. Preet (Kareena) and Sartaj’s bro (Balli). One issue: Drugs. One place: Punjab.
Tommy is a successful pop singer who got into drugs. Under the influence of drugs he gets berserk. Many of his fans gets into drugs taking him as a role model.
Bihari girl finds a huge load of drugs unexpectedly in the fields where she works. She wants to sell it off to earn some money and go back to her village. The plan backfires and the drug mafia team catches her and that puts a bolt to her bright future and life.
Sartaj, a corrupt cop, supports all kinds of illegal transport at the border including drugs. One day, he finds his brother almost losing his life for drugs. He changes his mind and wants to end drug mafia and starts working with Dr. Preet. She is the one who treats his brother Balli.
Dr. Preet works at the drug rehabilitation center and a strong support of “say no to drugs” campaign.
Balli, a lost youth who’s into drugs seriously.
The story revolves around these 5 main characters with supporting actors coming in between to show how drugs mess up lives and how difficult it is (or next to impossible) to make drug-free society.
When whole system is corrupted then one or two honest individuals cannot whitewash the society. The movie showed some “raw” situations and how individuals go thru hell while living. It’s very disturbing at times to watch that much crude reality.
Overall, first half paces little slow. Second half, has gripping scenes to engage audience. However, within no time, the movie ends with abrupt climax. Audience exit the theater with discomfit.
What worked well:
- Censor cuts and related hype
- Alia and Shahid did their jobs very well ; Shahid’s intro is impressive. He could convince audience as a drug addict. Alia does amazing job as a Bihari girl in a de-glamorous role
- Diljit is cute and could garner some love from audience with his looks
- Songs and background score is the HERO of the movie. Apt, catchy and lovely beats
Please wait till this movie airs in TVs!
– Appreciate the team for choosing this sensitive topic