The Movie: Bajrangi Bhaijaan (Dearest Bajrangi (name) bro!)
Savvy’s Rating: 4/5
Zephyr: Story, Salman, Nawazuddin, Harshali (child artiste)!
- Some people may find the story too fictitious ; all along Indian movies have shown a serious rivalry and humiliating situations so it’s little tough to come out of that cycle
- Salman’s conversation with Pak’s Border Security
- Kareena Kapoor’s role is under-etched
Star heroes have loads of airs. They are confined to an image which they themselves cannot break. Whoever says this, I would request them to relook at their thought process. Salman Khan proved himself in many ways by acting in this movie viz., 1) he can cry (he is very bad at it up until this movie :-P) , 2) he can enact serious roles (not playful roles like always), and 3) he can make co-stars as protagonists (Harshali and Nawazuddin)
Story in a nutshell (spoiler alert):
Bajrangi in India → Earning money to get married
Munni in Pak → A dumb girl, but can understand when people talk, comes to India and gets lost in a naive attempt to save an animal
Bajrangi finds Munni (or vice versa!!) and things change totally in his life. His new aim is not to get earn money to get married but to bring Munni to her home (Pak).
How Bajrangi finds Munni is a Pak girl? What kind of troubles he has to go thru to get into Pak? Did Munni meet her parents or stays with Bajrangi is something you want to want and experience onScreen.
What worked well:
1) Story is the hero of the story. Kabir Khan (Director) brought forward talents of main characters to the maximum extent. Maturity doesn’t come just by age, but comes with humility, humbleness and humility and I believe, the Director do have all these qualities. I’m impressed!
2) Although this is Indo-Pak story, there was never a scene where Indians tried to demean Pak and vice versa. Scenes like 1) Munni dancing on Pak’s victory in cricket, 2) Salman wearing burkha, 3) Nawazuddin saying Jai Sriram, 4) Salman respecting Munni for being a muslim, 5) Munni and Nawazuddin doing “Namaste” gesture etc. were shown very maturely. It makes you think how people are above and beyond “narrow-istic religious blind beliefs”. This movie focused on human emotions and relationships over boundaries, unwanted enmity between common men. There’s no disgrace to any religion, God, Beliefs and/or Faith. Kudos to the crew for showing handling sensitive issues very well
3) Harshali and Nawazuddin shared equal roles on par with Salman. In fact, little girl took entire responsibility till the end and made it happen. Salman and Nawazuddin complemented her very well
4) It’s a roller coaster drama with right amounts of love and comedy in between. Of course, emotional part played a key role where audience get connected to
5) Songs are like slow poison, as you listen, you get addicted to them; “Tu Jo Mila” and “Zindagi” are haunting, beware! “Bhar do jholi” Qawwali is a stealer ; “Tu Chahiye” makes you fall in love again and again 😛
Watch it. You will find common people who emote all possible emotions, not airy actors, in the movie. Savvy Certified Movie!
– Story, Direction, Actors and entire crew