The Movie: Shaadi ke Side Effects
Caption: Shaadi ka laddoo khaaye to pachhtaaye, na khaaye to bhi pachhtaaye (You will repent either eating or not eating a Laddoo (Indian wedding sweet))
Savvy’s Rating: 3/5
1) Unbearable Starting and pre-Climax scenes; just ignore them as movie has compensated some good scenes 😉
a) First 15-20 minutes where Farhan tries to be a pregnant man
b) 10-15 minutes before climax where Vidya Balan’s silliest lie comes into picture
2) Vidya Balan’s faux pas
Did you know, one of the side effects of a marriage is kids??!! Commitment may not be a problem if both are in love until kids come into picture. If Marriage is big responsibility and then Kids are bigger responsibility. 😉 Saket – the Director – did a good job on “Pyar ke Side Effects” movie earlier and looks like he got into another “Side Effects” project because of that. He tried his best but lost the focus on and off as you sail thru the movie.
Story in a nut shell: (Spoiler Alert)
SKSE tries to tell about what a man and woman goes through post Marriage. “Take it for granted” is the most dangerous phrase especially in a relationship. If Husband or Wife tend to take the partner for granted, then that’s the starting point for relationship cracks.
Farhan and Vidya are happily married couple. Romance, love and happy times were always on the cards till the couple decides to go for kids. Movie has some real good “eye-opener” type scenes.
1) When kids are born, wife ignoring husband totally for kids
2) Loss of romantic moments/talks between the couple as wife becomes a doting mom
3) Husband feeling ignored by wife due to new born
4) Husband trying to be a bachelor and looking for ways to enjoy life as he’s unable to accept new “Father” position
5) Husband trying to shy away from “Fathers’” talk
6) After couple years when wife tries to make time for husband, he being not available to spend time
6a) Women are good at emotional blackmail. There’s one scene, where Vidya gets ready to go out with Farhan but he cannot come. She starts complaining along the lines of “I have been busy with kid, when I want to spend time with my hubby things are not working.”
7) Husband and Wife talks about what a woman goes thru during pregnancy and post pregnancy
8) Husband being so irresponsible and forgetting kid over his other priorities (example, forgetting the kid for cricket when Farhan takes the kid for outing; wonder, if some men are like that)
9) Parents yelling at kids when they are mad at other partner
10) Being open to partner and not lying in spite of knowing the outcome
11) Some tips to couple on how they can still be in love even after marriage and increase their love for each other day by day
Especially in India, this open communication between the couple has always been a taboo. A creamy layer of couples from metro cities may be more expressive though. I would appreciate the Production team for bringing this kind of subtle emotions on screen because movie is the only medium that reaches mass and class.
1) Story and Screenplay
2) Some thoughtful scenes between Farhan and Vidya where emphasis was given to communications, understanding and support
3) Farhan has been at his best in showing a typical “guy-tude”; he lived in the character
If you can’t watch, that’s okay. If you have no other movie to watch, give this a shot.
– Story, Screenplay, Farhan